Thursday, May 31, 2012

Great movie quotes

Something's got a stranglehold on my creativity lately.  In the past, blog posts have seemed to spring from the tips of my keyboard-tapping fingers.  Nowadays, Dame Inspiration is a sometime visitor who can't be bothered to sit down for a cup of coffee even.  But the blog must go on.

Today, some of my favorite lines from some good movies.


"Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed.  But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops.  Uh, depending on the breaks." --General Buck Turgidson from Dr. Strangelove


"There are two kinds of spurs, my friend.  Those that come in by the door; [making the sign of the Cross] and those that come in by the window."  --Tuco from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


Carol:  Why can't I just have a normal boyfriend?
Carol's mother:  Everyone wants that, dear.  It doesn't exist.  --from As Good as It Gets


Prince John: Poor John. Who says poor John? Don't everybody sob at once! My God, if I went up in flames there's not a living soul who'd pee on me to put the fire out!
Prince Richard: Let's strike a flint and see.   --from The Lion in Winter


"I told myself it was beneath my dignity to arrest a man for pilfering firewood. But nothing ordered by the party is beneath the dignity of any man, and the party was right: One man desperate for a bit of fuel is pathetic. Five million people desperate for fuel will destroy a city. That was the first time I ever saw my brother. But I knew him. And I knew that I would disobey the party. Perhaps it was the tie of blood between us, but I doubt it. We were only half tied anyway, and brothers will betray a brother. Indeed, as a policeman, I would say, get hold of a man's brother and you're halfway home. Nor was it admiration for a better man than me. I did admire him, but I didn't think he was a better man. Besides, I've executed better men than me with a small pistol." --General Yevgraf Zhivago, from Doctor Zhivago


"Now go home and get your f*cking shine box."  --Billy Batts from the movie Good Fellas

Happy birthday, Paige!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

"It's not personal, it's business"