Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas, 2011


So, way back in the 70s, when I was a kid working in the grape fields in the Coachella Valley, in California, my Uncle Don took me and some of my cousins to see a movie in Palm Springs.  I can't remember the name of the flick, but it was a documentary that purported to scientifically examine evidence that Earth had been visited by extra-terrestrial life.  Indeed, the film suggested that early American civilizations (the Incan and Aztec empires in particular) owed much of their development to the knowledge imparted from spaceship-traveling aliens.

It was a boring flick, as I recall.  The only memorable datum that came out of it was a prediction of the date when the aliens would return to Earth, as set by the Aztecs.  (Or was it the Incas?)  That date was December 24, 2011.  Tomorrow.

I've held that date in my memory for three and a half decades.  And tomorrow I will learn, we will all learn, the truth of the film's prediction.

This Christmas, we will either awake to a brand new world full of possibility brought about by renewed contact with a benefactor race or we will awake to our old world (also full of possibility) in which we  continue to struggle with our relentless demons while teetering on the brink of catastrophe.

I'd give odds in favor of the latter, but you never know, eh?  Either way, the world will be irrevocably changed on the morrow.  Just like it is on every morrow.

So, while this world is still as it is on this day, let me extend my best wishes for every good soul who might read these words.  Old or new, our world has been and will be beautiful. 

Let's live as if we were worthy of salvation.  Be kind.  Heal.  Help.  Love.

Holiday best.

1 comment:

ridwan said...

Merry Christmas Dade.  Peace to you and Maty from a sweltering South Africa.

:)

Ridwan