Friday, January 07, 2011

ASL Red Barricades: Today the Volga, tomorrow the Vistula (Pt. V)

Note to readers: This post won't make a lick of sense to anyone who isn't familiar with the Advanced Squad Leader game system.


Dave Hauth and I are engaged in a playing of RBCGI:  Into the Factory.  I'm the Reds.  He's the Jerries.

We're each maintaining a blog correspondence as the game progresses.  We've a Gentleman's Agreement that neither of us will read his opponent's blog until given express permission to do so. 

Readers are encouraged to comment!  Speak your piece! Just be sure not to inadvertently reveal any information about Dave's plan to me or vice-versa. 

You can read earlier episodes of my account:
You can read Dave's blog here

Aftermath of CG Day 4

On the fourth day, the Jerries rested.

At the end of CG Day 3, the German ELR dropped from 4 to 3 which (I presume) Dave interpreted as an indication that he should take an Idle Day.  A prudent decision and I'm not really surprised.  I had even toyed with the idea of choosing an Attack chit to press him while he was down, but I didn't really have the strength to pull it off.  As it stands, we're squared off for a big fight on Day 5, which makes me nervous.  I know I'll be facing at least 2 fresh Sturm companies on the new day.

 Day 5 Perimeter
Lay on, Macduff!

One thing is sure:  coming off an Idle day, the Germans are going to throw a big punch.  Hopefully, I'm strong enough to withstand it.  My retained forces are these:
  • 628 x 12
  • 447 x 8.5
  • 527 x 2
  • 426 x 19
  • 228 x 2
  • 10-0, 9-1 x 3, 9-0 x 3, 7-0 x 3
  • MMG x 2, Atr x 2, Lt. Mtr. x 2, DC
  • 76* INF x 2 
  • 80mm mortar module, pre-registered hex, scarce ammo
Dave sees this...
I am allotted 17 CPP for the day.  My purchases are these:
  • A3 T-34 M41 platoon (inexperienced) 5CPP
    T-34 M41 x 3

  • I3 Rifle Coy (depleted) 5CPP
    447 x 9
    HMG, Atr, Lt. Mtr.
    9-0, 8-1

  • I7 Heavy Weapons platoon 6CPP
    MMG x 2, HMG, 50-cal. HMG
    82mm Mtr. x 2
    127 x 4
    228 x 2

  • M2 Fortification point 1CPP
    HIP Squad
    HIP crew x 4
    HIP SMC x 3
    Trench
    Roadblock
    ? x 10
Day 5 setup
Normally, I would buy 2 infantry companies in order to make full use of my manpower advantage.  But my troops are so short of hardware after the first 3 days of fighting that I feel compelled to buy a Heavy Weapons platoon.  I need some range and firepower.

The weather for the day is overcast, so I can safely buy a T-34 platoon without worrying about Stukas.  But I had a most unfortunate roll for my armor leadership, resulting in Inexperienced crews for my tanks!  To add to my woes, my reinforcing Rifle company is depleted.  But at least the Heavy Weapons platoon is full strength.

Day 5 setup, north
In the north, I've placed two platoons of Guards SMG troops in the Chemist's Shop.  Their purpose is twofold:  1) Guard against a German attack from the northern board edge; 2) If no such attack develops, press to infiltrate the O10 factory.  The mere presence of these troops poses a threat on the German flank, so I don't think Dave can ignore them.  Thus, they serve to take pressure off other points along the front.  They're supported by a hidden HMG and 9-1 leader in over-watch position. 

I've set up my entire Heavy Weapons platoon HIP to hopefully catch some Germans at unawares as they run from cover to cover.  My 50-cal. and another 9-1 leader are hidden in the upper level of hex GG21 where they can see down the equator, but are relatively safe from attack.  The conscript on the rooftop in CC20 is there to strip HIP status from any German artillery observers on factory rooftops and to act as a spotter for the big mortar in DD19.

I've got two platoons of rifle squads and the two howitzers protecting the crucial area between the R17 and U22 factories.

Day 5 setup, south
My brave militia troops get the sad task of holding ground in the middle factories.  Tough job, and one has to imagine that not many of them will be making it to the chow line at the end of the day.  But that is where I expect the Germans will punch hardest and, in the cruel calculations of war, conscripts are easy to come by.  (Especially in Stalin's Soviet Union, eh?)  Besides, the terrain is such that their poor range will not be quite such a disadvantage.  And, they get that Fanatic bonus in the factories.

My 80mm mortar artillery is still trained on the O33 factory.  I've got a couple platoons of Guards SMG troops down there, plus an 82mm Mortar.  These units are charged with holding their ground until my reinforcing Rifle company and T-34s arrive to assist them.  Then, depending on the situation, I might try to expand my foothold in this factory.  I've got an ambush set near the T38 bridge to surprise any Germans that use Stalnaya Street to advance on my southern flank.

I'm very glad that Dave has used both of his allotted Nebelwerfer modules.  A rocket barrage today would be devastating.  As it is, I won't be surprised to see some big German artillery come raining down.  But it will be hard for his observers to get a purchase on my position.  And any radio-operating Germans on factory rooftops will soon discover my hidden machine-gun nests.

We're scheduled to play tomorrow, January 8th.  This day could be decisive either way, or it could end without either side having a clear advantage.  We'll just have to see...

To be continued...

No comments: