Sunday, May 09, 2010

Saturday night at Milagro Theater

 El Milagro Theater on Stark Street

Saturday night, I went to Milagro Theater, just down the street, as it were, to see a production of El Quijote.  The play was billed as a bilingual adaptation of a work written by Santiago García based on the novel by Miguel de Cervantes.  That description piqued my curiosity for a number of reasons.  Firstly, I'm always looking for new ways to improve my Spanish and a bilingual play seemed like a good alternative for doing so.  Secondly, I read the original Cervantes novel some 25 years ago and remembered it as poignant, profound, and hilarious.

Entreaties to friends and spouse for accompaniment were fruitless, and so I made a solo trek down to SE Stark Street, a mere mile and a half from my house, to see the play. 

Milagro Theater

Tasteful, thematic decor

This was my first visit to Milagro Theater, but I don't intend for it to be my last.  The anteroom included a small coffee shop adorned with Spanish-themed artwork apropos of the current show.  The staff was friendly, informative, and welcoming. The atmosphere was casual, easy-going.  I did not feel under-dressed in my sandals and tee-shirt attire.

The theater itself is intimate.  I'm not sure of the capacity, but I estimate there were some five score persons at the show I attended, and there were only a scant few empty seats.  The stage was small, and the set simple.  Sound and lighting were quite good.

El Quijote

Sancho Panza (Danny Bruno) y el Don Quijote (Gilberto Martín del Campo)

La obra, como se anunció, es bilingüe, lo cual significa que el diálogo consiste de líneas en ambos inglés y español.  Por la mayor parte, comprendí el castellano, aunque, en algunas escenas, estuve perdido.  El reparto de actores trabajaron con mucha dedicación.  No quiero mencionar nadie en particular, por que todos hicieron muy bien.  Me gustó el diálogo entre los dos actores primeros, Danny Bruno (Sancho Panza) y Gilberto Martín del Campo (Don Quijote).  Hubo muchas escenas cómicas, y bajo todo, las preguntas planteadas en la obra de Cervantes no se habían ocultado.  Don Quijote y Sancho Panza continuan preguntarnos ¿cuál es el equilibrio adecuado entre el idealismo y el pragmatismo? 

En mi opinión, la obra fue un poco demasiado largo, corriendo dos y media horas, incluyendo un intermedio de quince minutos.   Pero, encontré el trabajo ser un esfuerzo sincero y con éxito.  ¡Felicidades a directora Olga Sanchez y a todos del Grupo de Milagro Teatro!

No comments: