Monday, July 14, 2008

Oregon Country Fair 2008

This week, posting will be sporadic as, for the most part, I will be away from my computer. Family visits, house renovations, and leisurely vacation activities are taking up most of my time. However, I thought I'd post a few pictures from the Oregon Country Fair, which took place last weekend. The OCF is the premiere hippie event in Oregon and takes place every second weekend in July.

Here are some images from this fantastic event.

Monarch Man
I've been attending the OCF for 20 years now. It has changed over the years, but I still come away from it feeling rejuvenated and hopeful about the future. There is a general good vibe, a sultry summer haze of hopefulness and optimism, that you can't help but absorb as you wander through the famous magic "8," past the drum tower and the Two-Bit Advice, and the fantastic food and crafts; as you listen to the great music that floats in the air, mingling with the dust.

Three-headed alien
The OCF is one of the highlights of my summer. If you ever get the chance, and you're willing to keep an open mind, you should take the opportunity to attend this event. You'll see things you won't see anywhere else. The OCF is chock full of freaks, hippies, and tree-hugging environmentalists. Not many Republicans.

Great music
While I was wandering around this year, I saw a tee-shirt that said "The hippies were right!" Made me laugh. And I believe it, too. If more people could see the virtue in the vision that the Fair offers, it would be a better world.

Junior would not enjoy this event
So, here's to the Fair! As long as it runs there is still hope for a better future.

2 comments:

Shus li said...

Thanks, Dade, for the photos of the OCF. I value the event as a mecca of freedom of expression.

Best bumper sticker I saw there: "Nonjudgment day is near."

Glad you enjoyed!

Shusli/Rhonda

Eclectic Dilettante said...

It looks like a lot of fun.